Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Bear Hug - From Winnie the Pooh!!

I can't help it. I have to talk about these books from Disney. I am specifically going to address Oh Bother! Someone's Messy. It is a short, simple, but very endearing story about a messy little kangaroo who doesn't want to keep his (or her) room clean. His mother begins by feeling frustrated about the disorganized room and decides to back off and let Roo decide when his own room needs cleaning. Through a series of experiences, Roo learns that keeping his room clean and organized not only makes his mother feel better, but his friends and even himself as well.

I think we can all relate to this. When I was a child, my mother put a door hanger on my bedroom door that said "This room is a CATastrophe!" (We are cat and dog people) And now that I am a mother myself, I am amazed at how my 6 year-old son walks into the house, sits down, takes off his shoes, leaves them exactly where they left his feet, removes his socks and literally throws them down the middle of the hallway. The first time we read Oh Bother! Someone's Messy, my son and daughter cleaned the entire playroom to the best of their abilities. I get the book out every so often to remind them of the importance of not only having a room organized, but picking up after themselves as well. It has turned into a fun activity that I can take advantage of a few times a month. They are children, after all. You know they'll get tired of it if you keep using the same 'ole trick every time!

It is truly a lesson for all children, but this story touches a parent's heart and mind as well. I strongly recommend you give it a try. I am confident you'll soon be ordering more of the series, like I did. Please click here to visit Amazon.com to browse and read about the entire collection. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment